Wednesday, July 23, 2008

A Strange Visitor

I was turning on my computer last night to start doing my plates (projects) when I heard the voice of my father over my shoulder. I didn’t pay attention ‘coz I thought it was nothing. But he came in and showed me a little bird. He said he found it near our dirty kitchen. We thought that somebody, perhaps a kid, had captured and lost it. So he handed me the little creature and intended to keep it until tomorrow. It seemed tired and exhausted, obviously looking for its mother, I guess.

I don’t exactly know the name of its species, but it is one of the common types of birds I see in our yard. (Actually, we call it “Tamsi” (local term), the kind of bird that clings in small branches of plants.) It’s a long-beaked bird with dark gray-and-green feathers with a black spot on its yellow breast. Oh, just take a look at the picture. It’s a good thing I didn’t forget to capture the moment.

The tiny creature doesn’t seem to be very friendly. As if I had expected! Well, I never had any experience of having birds as pets for a long period of time. But I still give tender loving care to any creature of Mother Nature. (--.) This cute little bird just behaved as I examined it and introduced myself. (Haha, I actually talked to the birdie. It’s just me, you see. That’s how fond I am to animals. ) About a couple of times too, that it tried to fly away from my gentle grasp while I took its pictures. No, I should say our pictures. I kept seizing it back. I could see that it’s catching its breath. Poor birdie, I guess he’s hungry.

So I handed the bird back to my father when he came in. He said we should let it fly but I guess it couldn’t fly away that much coz it has to restore its energy to go back outdoors the next day. I told my dad to spare him some food, (and I don’t even know what should be given to the bird coz I think a small grain of rice would make it hard for him to swallow). But my father brought the bird outside and placed him near the plants. The little creature jumped to a small branch of a certain shrub and it disappeared from my father’s sight, never to return again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi cham!wazzup!..now ko lang talaga na-visit blog muh..hmm..sorry..lage ko kasi nakakalimutan..hehe..o well..'sunggo' man blogs mu uie..with all the straight english..saka..unusual pero meaningful topics..hehe..o well..sige cham..ingatz lage!..

God bless!^^

Kate said...

bye, bye, birdie...

awww... it's so sad to hear that the bird flew away.

i also didn't have any experience with taking care of a pet bird. i caught a bird once but it died shortly after i fed it...

*i'd also appreciate your comments...*