Wednesday, August 5, 2009

A Yellow Ribbon for Cory

"If it weren't for Former President Corazon C. Aquino, we wouldn't be living the way we are today..."

This is just my simple thought of reflections as the whole country mourns for her death. I never knew her deeply, I never met her personally, and I don't have the slightest memory of her or me connected to one another. But I feel the emptiness perhaps just like what the many people feel especially on this very day when Pres. Cory is being laid to rest with our Lord in heaven.

I was not there when the People Power Revolution on 1986 happened that made the Filipinos heroes in the eyes of the world. I only heard the stories about it. But as many would recall, Madam Cory Aquino became one great person indeed, for bringing back the democracy that we have right now. She is a very good leader and example for the Filipino leaders and the people as well. I have heard parts of her speech when she was still on the seat of presidency. And I must admit I admire her sincerity and purity of good intention. She chose not to extend her term as president, yet she never stopped serving the country and the people.

I could say she is an icon of democracy, of faith, of hope, of love. More than the example she led in the leadership of the country, she instills in the hearts and minds of the people the values she imparts to her family.

As a student of the institution that I belong, in behalf of myself and the local youth that I'm representing, I am in deep gratitude for the significant things that Pres. Cory has done for all of us. There is little I can do but to offer my prayer and salute to the mother of democracy. Because if it were not for the people who chose to make the first steps to change the history of dictatorship, if it were not for the will of steel and the sincerest prayers, if it were not for the love of country and fellowmen, then we will not be living the way we are right now. History might be changed. I believe all happened for some reasons. Reasons that we may not be able to know, but continue to live the legacy left by our former president, Cory Aquino.

Thank you, Madam Cory!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, former president Cory Aquino sure as an icon of democracy. Freedom would not be free at all if weren't because of her.

penflame said...

You can say that again! :-)

If history will be reversed we wouldn't be having a free Philippines in the present..

Jan said...

Cham..ako diay na si anonymous..Gadz..hehe

penflame said...

Hmm..yeah!