Saturday, September 17, 2011

Filipina Beauty and Intelligence in Miss Universe 2011

I'm not so fond of following beauty pageants but having your country in the semi-finals is a thing to be proud of. Bb. Pilipinas-Universe is Shamcey Supsup, who made it as the Miss Universe 2011 3rd Runner Up. One of the judges is also a Filipina, Lea Salonga, an internationally known broadway singer. Last year's representative of the Philippines to the beauty title also made to the finals with Venus Raj as the 4th Runner Up.


Miss Philippines - Shamcey Supsup
[photo courtesy of http://www.missuniverse.com/members/profile/599558/year:2011]

Shamcey is a 25-year-old Architecture Licensure Examination 2010 topnotcher born in General Santos city. She's beauty and brains indeed and a woman of value. She is the only one among the five to answer directly the judge's question without the aid of an interpreter, and for me that's an important thing to consider. Having an interpreter allows a contestant to really able to express her thoughts using her own native language, but it would also give her the advantage to give enough time to think for a good answer. Miss Philippines answered her question with poise and confidence, and the impromptu manner is impressive.

Philippines - Preliminary Competition Gown
[photo courtesy of http://www.missuniverse.com/members/profile/599558/year:2011]

Shamcey's answer to judge Vivica A. Fox's question "Would you change your religious beliefs to marry the person that you love? Why or why not?" was "If I had to change my religious beliefs, I would not marry the person that I love because the first person I love is God, who created me. I have my faith and my principles, and this is what makes me who I am. And if that person loves me, he should love my God, too." As we all know, religion is a debatable topic among many who have their own beliefs and stands. But Miss Philippines just expressed as to what she believes in. The answer was honest and it came out just natural for her who has her own principles and values. 

Philippines - National Costume
[photo courtesy of http://www.missuniverse.com/members/profile/599558/year:2011]

Philippines - Preliminary Competition Swimwear
[photo courtesy of http://www.missuniverse.com/members/profile/599558/year:2011]

This is another feat of victory to the Philippines. Although the crown was not earned by Miss Supsup and most think that she deserves the title, she was able to portray the Filipina strength, beauty, and intelligence and everybody was happy for that.

To Miss Philippines, I congratulate you for doing your best. It's not only yourself but the whole country and the Filipino people that you brought to the international arena.


No comments: